Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Visual Studio 2008: Application Cannot Start

 

I got this annoying error, every time I tried to run my VS2008 SP1 in Administrator mode (which is needed to avoid the “Failed to map the path '/'.” when running an EPiServer site in visual studios web server). Some google searches brought to outdated microsoft material – but luckily also to Alex Riley’s helpful post: https://www.21concepts.com/Blog/EntryId/10/Visual-Studio-2005-2008-The-application-cannot-start.aspx.

On my win7 x64, it turned out (thanks procmon) that my visual studio was looking for C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\dte80a.olb – and once I copied that from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv all was well.

2 comments:

boris said...

Hi there,

I had exactly the same problem but on a Visual Studio 2010 running on Win7 x64.

When running in administrator mode the application refused to start up and showed the message 'Application cannot start'.

When copying the dte80a.olb file into the "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv\" folder the problem was solved and visual studio could load the file.

Thanks for the hint !

boris

DotNetSteve said...

I was having the same problem with VS 2008 and your solution worked!

Thanks for the Post!

Steve